Satisfied with the acquired knowledge, lack of interpersonal skills and adaptability are damaging for an IT career in this face-paced digital transformation
Mistakes that can make a career of IT professionals in danger and lose his worth and demand in the industry
IT career is always bumpy for any IT student which can be managed by gaining new skills and building relationships with peers to add values in their careers. Following are some of the neglected actions that can damage one’s IT career and act as a hidden risk to a career:
- Rapid domain change can be beneficial to boost their IT career; a common mistake by many IT professionals, instead they need to choose their domain intelligently and should spend significant time working in it.
- IT professionals have to take the job shift decision intelligently. Changing the job and job domains should be based on the saturation of domain knowledge, not because of lack of interest or lack of appreciation from the superiors and job environment.
- It is easy for an IT professional to get panicked under immense pressure from workload, deadlines, etc. but he needs to be mentally and emotionally strong and manage the work pressure intelligently.
- It is essential for any professional either technical or non-technical to build relationships with their peers; social events can be a major opportunity to build relationships in an informal manner, help the IT professionals to understand the business environment and strategic goals of their organization in a friendly environment.
- Sticking to a job title is not always beneficial and can make them lose a good opportunity instead an IT professional should be willing to take opportunities.
- It is generally assumed that if an employee is in a position for a long period of time that means he might not be aware of his own worth or not getting paid what is actually deserved; he should be aware of the market value of their job position.
- It is damaging for an IT professional if he fails to understand the business objectives, vision and daily business operations clearly as it helps IT, professionals, to formulate the IT strategies that can completely align with the business goals.
- A major mistake of an IT professional is to either neglect the customers, misunderstand them or misidentify the actual customer which can affect the outcome of the project they work on.
- It is always damaging for an IT professional to only stay in a single domain and technology for a longer period of time in which they are comfortable in and avoid taking challenges and hinder from their growth.
- IT professionals have always given importance to their technology development and skills management while neglecting the importance of interpersonal skills and relationship building skills due to which they face major hindrance in communicating with non-technical peers.
- A postgraduate degree is a specialization degree, which should be pursued with clear goals and an understanding of their domain of interest.
- If an organization is offering training for skills improvement, it should be availed because it is beneficial to boost their career and acquire new skills with little investment.
- It is a common practice in many IT professionals to retain their experiences and knowledge to themselves which can be a major reason for the downfall in careers.
- When an IT professional is only willing to take the tasks of their area of interest and avoid any challenging tasks, it can be damaging for their careers in a longer period of time.
- Career planning should be done for the next two to three years not more than that and then work harder to the goal and monitor the progress timely otherwise many people end up adjusting their plans rather than taking actions.
Some of the common mistakes identified above can help IT professionals to be able to identify problems in their careers and rectify them as soon as possible. Only by correcting these mistakes an IT professional can create his worth in the IT industry and have a sustainable, successful and long-lasting career.